- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water (I used chicken broth as usual)
- 2 turkey sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic*, or to taste
- 3/4 red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons diced pimento
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Pour brown rice and water into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey sausage, and cook until well browned on the outside, and no longer pink on the inside. Remove cooked sausage, then stir in garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes until the onion softens and begins to turn translucent. Add green pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in half of the vegetable stock along with the tomatoes and pimiento. Season to taste with red pepper flakes, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Cook until the liquid has almost completely evaporated. Stir in sausage with remaining vegetable broth, and simmer until all is hot. Serve sausage mixture over brown rice.
* By the way, have you seen this ?? I just think these are the coolest little contraptions (since I despise mincing garlic.)